In the Library with the Lead Pipe is seeking applications for a Social Media Editor. This volunteer position will serve on the Lead Pipe Editorial Board for a two-year term of service.
Lead Pipe is an open access, open peer reviewed journal founded and run by an international team of librarians working in various types of libraries. In addition to publishing articles and editorials by Editorial Board members, Lead Pipe publishes articles by authors representing diverse perspectives including educators, administrators, library support staff, technologists, and community members. Lead Pipe intends to help improve communities, libraries, and professional organizations. Our goal is to explore new ideas and start conversations, to document our concerns and argue for solutions.
The Lead Pipe Editorial Board is committed to collegiality and consensus decision-making. Applicants should be prepared to participate in discussions that may be forthright and frank, but always respectful and solution-focused. For many of us, the work we do for Lead Pipe is among our most professionally rewarding, and even though we interact primarily via email and a monthly hangout, we have grown to treasure the relationships we’ve formed with each other.
The Social Media Editor will be considered an equal member of the Lead Pipe Editorial Board and will be given the opportunity to engage in other Lead Pipe Editorial Board responsibilities, such as editing articles and recruiting authors.
The expected time commitment is approximately 10-20 hours per month.
- Manage Lead Pipe’s social media presence;
- Ensure that new articles and other published content are highlighted on social media in a timely manner;
- Interact with Lead Pipe readers via social media on the journal’s behalf (excluding comments to articles, as this is the responsibility of an article’s authors and editors);
- Take a leading role in developing and enforcing Lead Pipe’s Community Management Guidelines with the goal of creating a sustainable social media presence as well as providing for institutional memory;
- Provide leadership in expanding Lead Pipe’s social media presence to new platforms as appropriate;
- Attend and participate in Lead Pipe editorial board meetings (held online asynchronously via email as well as monthly via Google Hangouts).
To be considered for this position, please send a statement of interest, along with your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your statement should be succinct and should describe your relevant experience as well as at least one idea for improving Lead Pipe‘s current social media presence. We want you to demonstrate that you’ve looked at our channels and thought critically about them, and that you have a coherent approach or philosophy regarding social media for organizations. In addition, if you have one, be sure to link to your online portfolio or any social media presence you manage.
This position will remain open until filled with priority given to applications received prior to Wednesday, September 24th, 2014.
Any questions may be directed to email@example.com.
Many thanks to Nicole Helregel from Hack Library School for reviewing!